Sunday, June 28, 2009

Home Again

The quick, one day trip to visit my aunt became slightly longer as she convinced me to stay over for a better visit. It was so nice to see her. At nearly 91 she is the matriarch of our family and the keeper of our history. I love visiting with her and hearing her stories. Her body is getting frail but her mind is still as sharp as ever. The trip to Alberta took me through some lovely countryside but darn it! I forgot my camera. On the Saskatchewan side of the border there were lovely stands of trees with every green imaginable. There were rolling hills and fields of canola, wheat and oats. Sadly, the further west I traveled the more evidence there was of the dry spell they are experiencing. Along the road I frequently saw farm equipment parked with 'for sale' signs on it, the crops were stunted and the pasture land was parched and yellowed. My uncle said they haven't had rain on some parts of his land for over a year! Now that I am home again I am going to catch up on some housework and then get back to work on the quilted bag I am making for my daughter. It is always nice to travel but equally nice to come home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment